Pesticide and Fertilizer Program

Our goal is compliance with Kansas statutes and regulations governing products that are used to control pests or to enhance plant growth. We strive to achieve our goal through compliance assistance and outreach education; complaint investigation; and monitoring inspections. Our program covers the following laws:

If you suspect that a pesticide has been misused (including herbicide drift),
please visit our online Pesticide Complaint Form.

Presentation from Gary Meyer, program manager, May 2019:
Drift, Damage Claims, and Complaint Reporting

Pest & Fert Fees
** Fees will change July 1, 2019. New fees are as follows:
2018-2019 Pesticide and Fertilizer Fees

Driftwatch logo
To legally apply any pesticide (even lawn fertilizers with herbicides) for compensation, you must have a Kansas pesticide business license and at least one employee with a Kansas commercial pesticide applicator certification in the appropriate category.

To legally sell any pesticide product, you must have a Kansas pesticide dealer registration and the pesticide product(s) must be registered in Kansas by the manufacturer. In general, all pesticide products must be sold in the unopened, original container with intact labeling. There are exceptions, so give us a call if you have any questions.

To legally sell a fertilizer product or soil amendment, the product must be registered in Kansas. In addition, tonnage fees are assessed on fertilizers based on the amount of product sold to Kansas locations.

To legally apply anything other than water through an irrigation system, requires a chemigation permit for the well(s) and at least one individual with a Kansas chemigation equipment operator authorization.

Any entity (business or individual) storing bulk pesticide(s) or bulk fertilizer(s) in Kansas must comply with our secondary containment laws.

More information on these and other topics is available on subpages of this site. 

If you have questions regarding the status of your initial or renewal application you may contact us at 785-564-6688.