Due to the state’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the staff at the Kansas Department of Agriculture has been asked to work remotely beginning April 6. During this time, our headquarters and field offices will remain closed to the public. Please keep in mind that while we work from our homes, our response times may be a bit slower. We ask for your patience as we work through these changing times.

To file a complaint about a food or lodging establishment, please visit If you have any other questions or concerns, please email those to or leave a message at 785-564-6767. This email will be monitored on a daily basis and responses will be made as soon as possible.

If you have a food safety or lodging emergency after business hours, please hang up, call 800-915-6163, press 1, and leave a message.

The KDA coronavirus page has guidance documents and ag-related industry links. For more information about the State of Kansas response to COVID-19, please consult theKDHE Resource Center.

Food Safety and Lodging

The Kansas Department of Agriculture promotes public safety by regulating the production and sale of food products in Kansas.

The Food Safety and Lodging program is responsible for food safety inspections of food establishments, food processors and lodging establishments. Food establishments are operations that provide food directly to the end consumer, with or without charge.

Food establishments include restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, schools, senior meal sites, mobile food units and food operations in lodging establishments.

Food processors are operations that provide food to other food operations for further distribution, with or without charge. Food Processors include food wholesalers, food warehouses, food re-packers and food manufacturers.

Lodging establishments are operations that offer sleeping accommodations for a charge. Lodging establishments include guest houses, hotels, motels, bed & breakfast homes, lodges, rooming houses and boarding houses.

The Kansas Food Code and other statutes that guide the Food Safety and Lodging program can be found here

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Response provides expertise and technical support to local health departments, the private health care community and the general public. You may contact them at (877) 427-7317 or

The Kansas Department of Agriculture is committed to ensuring the civil rights of all its customers and employees. For more information, please see our Nondiscrimination Statement.

Questions about COVID-19? 
KDHE Resource Center